Hey Food Lovers,
The garden egg, also known as eggplant is a very good source of dietary fiber, potassium, manganese, copper and thiamin (vitamin B1). It is also a good source of vitamin B6, folate, magnesium and niacin. Eggplant also contains phytonutrients such as nasunin and chlorogenic acid.
Most people love to eat the garden egg not only because of its nutritional benefits but also because of the taste it gives. Though garden eggs have a bitter sour taste (it is something you can call bitter sweet taste), it tastes nice in its own way. Garden egg sauce is made from garden eggs, It is usually used to eat boiled yam, trust me it tastes nice. Garden egg sauce is something to try.
Let us show you how to make garden egg sauce.
- Large garden eggs
- Groundnut oil or Palm oil
- Onion (Thinly Sliced)
- Bell pepper (tatashe),
- Chili peppers (Rodo)
- Flaked Fish
- Blended crayfish
- Maggi & Salt – To Taste
- Roughly blend chili pepper, bell pepper and onion together and set aside.
- Boil the garden eggs for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Peel the garden eggs skin by gently pulling on the thin white coating (cut and remove the seeds in the center if you prefer). Roughly chop up the peeled garden eggs or lightly crush them.
- Set a pot on medium heat, add in the oil. Wait 2 minutes then add in the onions. fry the onions until translucent
- Add in all the other ingredients except the fish. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes
- Add the crushed garden eggs and fish into the sauce, combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
Not only can it be eaten with yam,it can also be eaten with any of the tuber family like potato, cocoyam or even boiled plantain.