Fashion has never taken a walk, it has been around and it looks like it is not changing its mind. You cannot know it all just yet when it comes to this big thing that hides itself in the simple 7Letter-reality ‘FASHION’, I bet you would still marvel at these facts you didn’t know about Fashion.
Know the facts…
- The Little Black Dress (LBD) was popularized by the French designer, Coco Chanel dating back to 1926,it was said that the LBD would become “a sort of uniform for all women of taste”.
- Guess who loved hats to her bones…it was Elizabeth 1, she made it compulsory for all females over the age of 7 to wear hats on Sundays and holidays, there was a stiff fine for anyone who violated it.
- The bra strap clasp was invented by Mark Twain, did you know?
- It wasn’t until the 17th century before men started to wear underwear’s.
- High Heels were originally worn by men before it became unisex and it faded by 1740.(It has a great come-back now)
- The big brand ‘Ralph Lauren’ began his career as a tie designer
- Caresse Crosby invented bra (tell me you knew!)
- Bra maker, Playtex designed the suits worn by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.
- Wearing a white dress was initially associated to mourning, until Queen Victoria decided to wear one on her Wedding Day.
- Did you ever know that one of the key ingredients in manufacturing lipstick is fish scales?
- 70% women made clothing for themselves before the 1850s. It is today that handmade clothing’s and other accessories have become pricey.
- During the late 18th century, skirts became shorter only to help women to step into automobiles conveniently and comfortably.
- Next to Christian Dior, it was Giorgio Armani who was featured on the cover of the Time Magazine following his power suit design for women and men in the 1980s.
- If this was the 15th century, models would not be needed anywhere in the world because designers used little dolls instead of females as models to showcase their creations to the clients.
- Alexander McQueen committed suicide on February 11, 2010 just days after his mother’s death.
- Coco Chanel launched the first designer suit in 1923. She had created the look by combining woolen boxy jackets with gold buttons, knee length skirts and large pearl necklaces.
- Top designer, Marc Jacobs was ranked 14th in a list of “50 Most Powerful Gay Men and Women in America” by Out magazine in 2012. You knew?
- The crocodile of the brand ‘Lacoste’ was the first brand name to ever appear as a logo on any garment.
- Christian Dior introduced the ‘New Look’ with his spring-summer collection in 1947. It featured a cinched waistcoat that accentuated the bust and gave an hourglass look with the long pleated skirt.
- Have you ever imagined that being pregnant was once considered as top fashion? During the 15th century, being pregnant was considered as fashion. During this period, if girls weren’t pregnant, they would hide pillows under their dress to fake a baby bump.
- Being a member of the ‘beardgang’ would not be so possible if this was during the reign of Peter the Great in Russia when men were not supposed to grow a bread only to look more ‘European’. A special tax would be fined to those who didn’t abide to this rule.
- Wearing a short hair is fashion-for-today but decades ago, women and girls spotted with short hair were considered to be unfaithful wives
These facts have always been, its just us that never knew. Fashion stands and its not changing its mind!